Monday, August 22, 2011

Cool Things

Getting into photography can be pretty expensive. You desire to have the best possible quality you can from your camera that you have already invested so much money into. You then realize that it takes MORE to get BETTER shots. It can be frustrating, trust me...I've been there....recently. A remote for those who despise the built in timer, a speedlite for better flash photographs, a tripod, MORE lenses because you always need another one that delivers the results you are wanting...and so on and so forth. If you're like me who is not made of money, who does not desire to put things on credit, and who would rather keep the peace with the hubs....

Hubs:  "You bought ANOTHER LENS!? What was wrong with the other one!?" 
Me:  "That one is a 50mm! I needed a macro lens to get awesome close ups!"
Hubs: He sighs and shakes his head in utter confusion.

Alas, I love searching and finding sweet "substitutes" that are cheaper than "originals". For example, I have been NEEDING to purchase a speedlite, but I knew after I purchased a speedlite I would then have to purchase a diffuser in order to get that "soft" effect. You always need something else! SO, I found this brilliant little substitute....


It's called a Puffer, and the current sale is for $21.95. It is a speedlite AND a diffuser! SAWEEEET!

Then there is a Pop-up Flash Bounce (er) for $30, which doesn't really produce an "as good effect" as the Puffer, but it still beats the "originals".



And who says you have to buy a full lens price when you can get a cheap attachment that delivers close to similar results? This is a brilliant wide angle & macro lens attachment for under $90 (depending on the purchased package).


I personally will invest in ANOTHER lens if I KNOW that I will be using it often, like my 50mm. I definitely bought a Canon brand "original" for that because it is usually almost ALWAYS on my Canon 7D. 

So there you have it--a few "cheaper" alternatives for those of us who are frugal and like to keep our cheapo significant others happy ....or maybe that's just my situation  ;-)

- Shaunna 

11 comments:

  1. thanks for the tips. I love good substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this!!! I've been wanting a macro lens, but I can't afford it yet. I'm definitely going to check into this. I had no idea this was out there. {BIG BIG THANK YOU!!!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back. I just ordered the macro adapter. I can't wait to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, that first diffuser thing totally loooks like a pantyliner. or is it just me? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Puffer looks pretty awesome! I've been wanting to invest in a Speedlite, but I'm just not sure how often I'd actually use it. This would be a great, inexpensive alternative. I also own a set of Hoya close-up filters, in different magnification strengths, that work really good for macros (which I also rarely take, and makes investing in a macro, for me, not such a good idea). There are also lots of DIY flash diffuser tutorials all over the internet. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the pop up cover {second one} and it works really well. I'm curious about the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. also, an empty and trimmed white alcohol or milk bottle make excellent bounce diffusers! i used one at a friend's wedding, and was quite happy to explain my $2 vs $50 (gary fong?) diffuser!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The puffer looks and sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHAHAHAHA! Rachel, you are so hilarious! It definitely does look like a pantyliner now that you've said that, LOL!

    Michelle: So awesome that you bought it!
    I'm so thankful to you guys! Thanks for liking this post!

    ReplyDelete

❤ Something lovely to say?